From Heraldry of the World
|Heraldry of the World|
Civic heraldry of Germany - Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
The arms were granted on February 7, 1955, but were already devised in 1945.
The arms are canting, a deer for the Tier (animal) part and the leaves for the Garten (garden) part of the name. The name and the choice of the deer as the animal in the arms remind of the fact that in the 16th century Prince Friedrich III if Brandenburg founded a hunting castle in the area.
The village Moabit, which is now part of the district of Tiergarten, did not have its own arms.
Literature : Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Angelsachsen Verlag, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.