Thurso

From

Jump to: navigation, search
Heraldry of the World
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom

THURSO

Contents

Burgh of Thurso

Incorporated into : 1975 Caithness District Council (1996 Highland Area Council)

Official blazon

Argent, five barrulets Sable, engrailed on their under edges, the figure of Saint Peter enhaloed Proper, vested Azure and Or, in his dexter hand two keys in saltire of the Last and of the First, in his sinister a pafiiarchal cross of the Fourth.

Above the Shield is placed a coronet appropriate to a Burgh and in an Escrol below the same this Motto "Wark to God".

Origin/meaning

The arms were granted on November 24, 1952.

Thurso became a Burgh of Barony in 1633 and became a Police Burgh in 1841.

The arms show St. Peter, the patron saint, who also appears on the Burgh seal, on a background of silver and black bars, taken from the arms of the Sinclair Earls of Caithness.

The motto is the second part of that of the Sinclair Earls of Caithness.


The old seal from Thurso


Thurso Community Council

Official blazon

Argent, five barrulets Sable, engrailed on their upper edges, the figure of Saint Peter enhaloed Proper, vested Azure and Or, in his dexter hand two keys in saltire of the Last and of the First, in his sinister a patriarchal cross of the Fourth.

Above the Shield is placed a Coronet appropriate to a statutory Community Council, videlicet:- a circlet richly chased from which are issuant four thistle leaves (one and two halves visible) and four pine cones (two visible) Or, and in an Escrol below the same this Motto "Wark to God".

Origin/meaning

The arms were granted on August 27, 1999.

These arms are the same as the old Burgh arms with a new crown.


Literature : Porteous, 1906; Bute et al; 1903; Urquhart, 1974, 1979, 2001

Personal tools
Google AdSense