|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
State : Baden-Württemberg
Urban district (Stadtkreis) : Stuttgart
Additions : 1901 Gaisburg, 1905 Bad Cannstatt, Untertürkheim, Wangen, 1908 Degerloch, 1922 Botnang, Hedelfingen, Kaltental, Obertürkheim, 1929 Hofen, 1931 Münster, Rotenberg, Zuffenhausen, 1933 Feuerbach (1929 Weilimdorf), Mühlhausen, Zazenhausen, 1937 Heumaden, Rohracker, Sillenbuch, Uhlbach, 1942 Birkach, Möhringen, Plieningen, Stammheim, Vaihingen (1936 Rohr)
Stuttgart became a city in the 13th century and the capital of the Counts of Württemberg in 1312. From the same year the first seal is known. It shows 2 running horses. The two horses also appear in the two next seals, the lower horse being smaller than the upper one. It has been mentioned that the arms thus showed a horse and a foal, but it is more likely due to the shape of the shield that the lower horse is smaller.
Two early seals of Stuttgart, from 1312 and 1343.
The first seal with a single horse dates from 1433 and is so small, that there simply was no room for two horses. It is the first seal that shows only a single horse. All later seals until the end of the 18th century show a single horse.
The first seal (1433) with a single horse.
In the end of the 15th century a lady appears as a supporter behind the shield. The lady still appears in a seal from the end of the 17th century, but disappears in later seals. Similarly, in some seals appears a small star, but this star also disappears in the late 18th century.
A seal from 1482 with the lady as supporter.
A seal from the middle of the 18th century with the small star above the horse.
In a seal from 1642 the horse is first shown rampant, instead of running. Ever since the horse has been shown this way.
A second horse appears again between 1750 and 1820. This time it clearly shown as a foal. This practice was also discontinued in the 1830s. Ever since the arms have not changed.
The horse itself is a canting symbol. Stute = female horse, and the name is supposed to have been Stutengarten, or garden of horses. Duke Ludolf of Schwaben founded, according to legends, in 950 a horse breeding center and riding school on the spot of the present city.
The colour of the horse is known as black since 1490. The field historically was silver, but started to change to gold since 1618 and 1854 to have the same colours as the arms of Württemberg. In between, silver and golden fields are used both.
Furthermore, there are many variations of the arms known. First, the horse is sometimes shown facing left, instead or right. This was only seen in images, never on seals. The colours were shown in 1599 as red on a unrecognisable dark field. The actual shape of the horse varies widely, according to the style of the painter or sculptor. The arms were for the first time officially described in 1885 in the present colours and shape. The additions of smaller municipalities has not changed the arms.
Seal of the city from around 1900
Seal of the city from around 1900 (with additional star !)
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
The arms shown around 1900
The arms shown around 1900
The arms used at present
Literature : Stadler, K., 1964-1971; Bardua, 1973.
Heraldry of the World is a private site, which is on-line since 1996. It is a hobby, which takes much time and money (books, hosting etc etc). If you would like to support this site, donations are very welcome ! You can support the site by donating items (stickers, papers, books, pdf, images and other items) or financially using the PayPal button below.
All donations send to this specific PayPal address will be used for acquiring books or other items for the site and not for private use.