From Heraldry of the World
|Heraldry of the World|
Civic heraldry of Germany - Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
The arms were granted on May 26, 1976.
The arms combine the old arms with the rose derived from the former Lippstadt district arms.
The previous arms were granted on April 17, 1935.
The arms show the two main symbols of the diocese and State of Köln. The bishops gradually acquired the area in the 12th century. The cross is taken from the arms of the State of Köln], whereas the key is the symbol of St. Peter, the patron saint of the diocese.
Literature : Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Angelsachsen Verlag, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.