From Heraldry of the World
|Heraldry of the World|
Civic heraldry of Germany - Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
The arms were granted in 1947.
The city received city rights in the early 13th century. The oldest seals show until 1430 a walled city. Later St. Anno, the patron saint appears on the seals. All later great seals show either a city or the saint.
Smaller seals (ad causas) show St. Michael, the patron saint of the mighty abbey of Siegburg, behind the arms of the Counts of Berg, a lion. Since 1558 the small shield was replaced by a mountain and a (free)lion. This seal was used for the present arms, which were granted in new and more defined colours in 1947.Hupp showed the arms in the 1920s in a different composition, with the lion in a shield, see below.
Seals of the city from around 1900.
The arms in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925