Difference between revisions of "Saarbrücken"

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to: navigation, search
m (Text replace - "The arms in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925 " to "The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925 ")
m (Text replace - "{|width="100%" style="color:black; background-color:#ffffcc;" |width="15%"|left |width="70%" align="center" |'''Heraldry of the World<br/>Civic heraldry of Germany - [[Deutsche Wappen|Deutsche Wappen (Gemeind)
Line 1: Line 1:
{|width="100%" style="color:black; background-color:#ffffcc;"
|width="15%"|[[File:Germany.jpg|50 px|left]]
|width="70%" align="center" |'''Heraldry of the World<br/>Civic heraldry of [[Germany]] - [[Deutsche Wappen|Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)]]'''
|width="15%"|[[File:Germany.jpg|50 px|right]]
|}<seo title="Wappen, Gemeindewappen" />

Revision as of 11:49, 25 January 2015

Heraldry of the World
Wappen der Welt
German heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of Germany
Deutsche Wappen

  • Total pages in the German section : 18,540


State : Saarland
District (Kreis) : Regionalverband Saarbrücken
Additions : 1909 Sankt Johann, Malstatt-Burbach; 1974 Altenkessel, Amt Brebach, Bischmisheim, Brebach-Fechingen (1959 Brebach, Fechingen), Bübingen, Dudweiler, Ensheim, Eschringen, Gersweiler, Güdingen, Klarenthal, Schafbrücke, Scheidt,



The arms were granted in 1909 after the merger of the three cities to new Saarbrücken.

The lion is the lion of Nassau-Saarbrücken, the county of which the city was the capital. The origin of the bordure I don't know. The rose is the old symbol for St. Johann and, combined with the lion, was used on the common seals of Saarbrücken and St. Johann since 1462. The miners tools were taken from the arms of Malstatt-Burbach.

The above arms are the smaller arms of the city, which are also used in daily life. The large arms show the Prussian eagle behind the shield, and holding the Royal scepter an orb (regalia) in his claws.


The large arms as granted in 1909

The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925

The previous arms of the city ahowed only the lion in the bordure as can be seen from the images below from around 1900.



Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes; Hupp, O: Kaffee Hag albums, 1920s

Help maintaining Heraldry of the World !

Heraldry of the World is a private site, which is on-line since 1996. It is a hobby, which takes much time and money (books, hosting etc etc). If you would like to support this site, donations are very welcome ! You can support the site by donating items (stickers, papers, books, pdf, images and other items) or financially using the PayPal button below.

All donations send to this specific PayPal address will be used for acquiring books or other items for the site and not for private use.