|Heraldry of the World |
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Argent, in a sea Proper, an ancient galley Sable, flagged Gules, therein two men Proper, one rowing, the other furling the sail.
Above the Shield is placed a suitable Helmet with a Mantling Gules doubled Argent, and on a Wreath of the proper Liveries is set for Crest a demi-figure of the Virgin Mary with the infant Saviour in her arms Proper, and on a Compartment below the Shield on which is an Escrol containing this Motto "Ex Fumo Fama" are placed for Supporters two angels Proper, winged Or.
The arms were granted on April 4, 1889.
Rutherglen was created a Royal Burgh by King David I between 1124 and 1153.
The arms are based on the devices on the oldest known seal of the Burgh from 1357 and 1493.
It has been said that they show three things characteristic of Rutherglen: her ships, her seamen and her church. The ship and mariners, from the obverse of the seal, recall that for a long period, the town was the chief trading and commercial centre on the lower part of the river Clyde.
The Virgin and Child and the angel supporters come from the reverse of the seal; the twelfth-century parish church, of which only a stone tower of later date remains, was dedicated to St. Mary the Virgin.
The motto is a free Latin rendering by Professor G. G. Ramsay of Glasgow University of the local saying "Ru'glen's roon red lumsreek briskly".
Seal of the burgh as used in the 1890s
The arms as used on a JaJa postcard +/- 1905
Argent in a sea Proper, an ancient galley Sable, flagged Gules, therein two men Proper, the one rowing, the other furling the sail.
Above the Shield is placed a Coronet appropriate to a statutory Community Council, videlicet:- a circlet richly chased from which are issuant four thistle leaves (one and two halves visible) and four pine cones (two visible) Or, and in an Escrol under the same this Motto "Ex Fumo Fama".
The arms were granted on October 29, 1999.
These arms are the same as the old arms of Rutherglen Burgh but without the crest, supporters and compartment of the old one.
Literature : Porteous, 1906; Urquhart, 1974, 2001
Heraldry of the World is a private site, which is on-line since 1996. It is a hobby, which takes much time and money (books, hosting etc etc). If you would like to support this site, donations are very welcome ! You can support the site by donating items (stickers, papers, books, pdf, images and other items) or financially using the PayPal button below.
All donations send to this specific PayPal address will be used for acquiring books or other items for the site and not for private use.