From Heraldry of the World
|Heraldry of the World|
Civic heraldry of Germany - Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
The new arms were granted on May 14, 1976 and replace the falcon of the previous arms with the lion taken from the arms of the city and district of Wassenburg.
The previous arms were granted on October 4, 1957.
The chief shows the arms of Bayern, as a large part of the district belongs for a long time to Bayern. The lower right part shows two leaves, taken from the arms of the Frauenchiemsee Convent. These arms are used as a symbol for the Chiemgau-area in the district. The lower left half shows the arms of the Counts of Falkenburg who ruled in the southern part of the district in the 13th century.
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes; Linder and Olzog, 1996.