From Heraldry of the World
|Heraldry of the World|
Civic heraldry of Austria - Österreichische Gemeindewappen
State : Vorarlberg
District : Feldkirch
The arms were officially granted on September 1, 1928.
Rankweil was a popular village for pilgimage to the local church. This is symbolised by the main cross, to which healing powers are described, as well as an image of the local church. Prior to 1928 the local seals also showed elements based on the pilgrimage.
Literature : Burmeister, 1975