From Heraldry of the World
|Heraldry of the World|
Civic heraldry of Germany - Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
The arms were granted on April 19, 1958.
The arms show a fountain, which is derived from the name of the town, which originally meant living or fast flowing spring. The village was situated on one of the busiest trading routes in the area, on which cattle was herded from Jutland (Denmark) to Hamburg.
In the village the local guesthouse Uhlenkrog (owls-pub) was often used by travelers. The owl in the arms reminds of this guesthouse.
The two water-lily leaves symbolise the two lakes in the area.
Literature : Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Angelsachsen Verlag, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.