Pitlochry

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to: navigation, search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
United Kingdom.jpg
British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Unitedkingdom-flag.gif

Overseas possessions


  • Total pages in the British section : 2,841

PITLOCHRY

Incorporated into : 1975 Perth and Kinross District Council (1996 Perth and Kinross Area Council)

Arms (crest) of Pitlochry

Official blazon

Parted per saltire: in chief Argent, in base Gules, and in flanks paly of six Or and Sable, three hearts two and one of the Second in chief, and in base a dove of the First, around its head a halo of the Third, embellished Vert.

[Above the Shield is placed a Burghal coronet] and in an Escrol below the same this Motto "Maise Agus Mathas".

Origin/meaning

The arms were granted on February 5, 1953.

The arms, parted per saltire for Scotland, have in chief three red hearts on a silver field for the family of Butter of Pitlochry, which has owned the lands of Pit­lochry since 1600. In the flanks, the gold and black paly of the Dukes of Atholl recall that Pitlochry is in the heart of Atholl, said to be the district first mentioned in Scottish history.

The enhaloed dove represents St. Colman, a Celtic missionary who is thought to have come from Ireland about A.D. 500 and to have founded the church at Moulin in which parish Pitlochry lies.

The Gaelic motto means "Beauty and Beneficence".


Literature : Urquhart, 1974Scotland.jpg


Help maintaining Heraldry of the World !

Heraldry of the World is a private site, which is on-line since 1996. It is a hobby, which takes much time and money (books, hosting etc etc). If you would like to support this site, donations are very welcome ! You can support the site by donating items (stickers, papers, books, pdf, images and other items) or financially using the PayPal button below.

All donations send to this specific PayPal address will be used for acquiring books or other items for the site and not for private use.