Perth and Kinross
|Heraldry of the World |
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
British heraldry portal
PERTH AND KINROSS
Additions : 1975 the Burghs of Aberfeldy, Abernethy, Alyth, Auchterarder, Blairgowrie and Rattray, Coupar Angus, Crieff, Kinross, Perth, Pitlochry and districts Central Highland, Eastern Highland, Perth
Incorporated into : 1996 Perth and Kinross Area Council
Or, a lion rampant Gules, armed and langued Azure, standing on a compartment or mount Proper and brandishing in his dexter paw a scimitar of the Last, all within a double tressure flowered and counterflowered of the Second; on an inescutcheon Argent, on an island Proper in a loch undy Azure and of the field, a castle also Proper; the Shield being surmounted on the breast of an eagle with two necks displayed Sable, gorged with a coronet appro priate to a statutory District, videlicet:- a circlet richly chased, from which are issuant eight thistle heads (three and two halves visible) Or; and in an Escrol under the Shield this Motto "Pro Lege et Libertate".
The arms were granted on February 9, 1977.
The arms are a combination of the arms of the Counties of Perthshire and Kinross County. The arms of Perthshire showed the Scottish lion on a mount and brandishing a scimitar, ready to defend the country. The arms were placed on a double-headed eagle, which is also continued in the new arms. The arms of Perthshire date already from the 17th century and were officially granted in 1800 with a royal tressure of Scotland.
The escutcheon shows the former arms of the Kinross County; the Loch Leven Castle standing on an island. This is the castle in which Mary, Queen of Scots, was imprisoned and forced to abdicate in 1567, and from which she escaped in 1568.
The motto 'For Law and Liberty' is also taken from Perthshire.
Additions : 1996 Pert and Kinross District Council of the Tayside Region
Or, a lion rampant Gules, armed and langued Azure, standing on a compartment or mount Proper and brandishing in his dexter paw a scimitar of the Las all within a double tressure flowered and counterflowered of the Second; on an inescutcheon Argent on an island Proper in a loch undy Azure and of the Field, a castle also Proper, the Shield being surmounted on the breast of an eagle with two necks, displayed Sable, armed and membered Gules, gorged with a Coronet appropriate to a statutory Area Council, videlicet:- issuant from a circlet eight paling piles (three and two halves visible) Or and eight garbs (four visible) of the Last, banded Sable; and in an Escrol below the same this Motto "Pro Lege et Libertate".
The arms were granted on May 8, 1996.
These are the arms of the former district council with a new crown.
Literature : Urquhart, 1979.
Heraldry of the World is a private site, which is on-line since 1996. It is a hobby, which takes much time and money (books, hosting etc etc). If you would like to support this site, donations are very welcome ! You can support the site by donating items (books, pdf, images and other items) or financially using the PayPal button below.
All donations send to this specific PayPal address will be used for acquiring books or other items for the site and not for private use.