Perth and Kinross
|Heraldry of the World
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
PERTH AND KINROSS (District Council (1975-1996) and Area Council (1996,->))
Additions : 1975 the Burghs of Aberfeldy, Abernethy, Alyth, Auchterarder, Blaingowrie & Rattray, Coupar Angus, Crieff, Kinross, Perth, Pitlochry and districts Central Highland, Eastern Highland, Perth; 1996 Tayside Region (partly)
The arms were granted on February 9, 1977 and again on May 8, 1996.
The arms are a combination of the arms of the Counties of Perthshire and Kinross County. The arms of Perthshire showed the Scottish lion on a mount and brandishing a scimitar, ready to defend the country. The arms were placed on a double-headed eagle, which is also continued in the new arms. The arms of Perthshire date already from the 17th century and were officially granted in 1800 with a royal tressure of Scotland.
The escutcheon shows the former arms of the Kinross County; the Loch Leven Castle standing on an island. This is the castle in which Mary, Queen of Scots, was imprisoned and forced to abdicate in 1567, and from which she escaped in 1568.
The motto 'For Law and Liberty' is also taken from Perthshire.
Literature : Urquhart, 1979.