Neukirchen am Walde
From Heraldry of the World
|Heraldry of the World|
Civic heraldry of Austria - Österreichische Gemeindewappen
NEUKIRCHEN AM WALDE
State : Oberösterreich
District : Grieskirchen
Neukirchen became a town in the early 16th century, but received no seal or arms at the time. In 1574 the local council applied for arms, which were described as the upper part divided per bend with in the upper half a dog and in the lower two bends. The lower half showed a church on a mountain. The request was never answered, and in 1576 the council applied again for the use of arms and seal. It is not known whether the arms were granted at the time or not. The oldest known use of a seal dates from 1705. The seal showed a shield with a church on a mountain and flanked by some trees.
This composition was the base of the present arms, which were officially granted on December 12, 1958.
The arms are canting, showing a church (Kirche) near a forest (Wald).
Literature : Baumert, H.E. : Oberösterreichische Gemeindewappen, Linz, 1996.