From Heraldry of the World
|Heraldry of the World|
Civic heraldry of Germany - Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
The arms were granted on June 25, 1957.
The arms symbolise the merging of the two rivers Ems and Hase. The rose is taken from the arms of the Dukes of Arenberg, who owned much of the county in the last century. The arms of the dukes show three roses. The colours are taken from the arms of the bishops of Münster, who ruled the area since the 13th century.
Literature : Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Angelsachsen Verlag, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.