Melick en Herkenbosch

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to: navigation, search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
Heraldiek van alle landen
Netherlands.jpg
Netherlands heraldry portal
Nederlandse heraldiek
Nederlandse gemeentewapens
Netherlands-flag.gif
(Dutch only/alleen Nederlandstalig)
(in English)

MELICK EN HERKENBOSCH

Provincie  : Limburg
Opheffing  : 1993 Roerdalen (naamswijziging)
Toevoegingen : 1991 Vlodrop

I : 11 september 1931
"Doorsneden, boven in keel een dubbelstaartige leeuw van zilver; beneden in zilver een liggende hark van sabel."

Wapen van Melick en Herkenbosch

Oorsprong/verklaring

Het wapen bestaat uit de leeuw van Wassenberg met een sprekend element voor Herkenbosch.

Melick en Herkenbosch waren onderdeel van het Ambt Wassenberg, dientengevolge waren de heren van de stad Wassenberg ook heren van Melick en Herkenbosch. Later kwam het gebied aan de graven van Gelre, de hertogen van Brabant en de heren van Heinsberg.

De schepenbank had in het begin van de 16e eeuw geen eigen zegel. Pas in 1580 wordt er melding gemaakt van een schependomszegel. Dit zegel vertoont al een leeuw boven een hark. Om welke leeuw het hier gaat is niet duidelijk. Het lijkt een dubbelstaartige leeuw, hetgeen de Gulikse leeuw zou kunnen betekenen. Alle geslachten, Wassenberg, Gelre, Brabant en Gulik voerden namelijk een leeuw.

De leeuw in het gemeentewapen is afgeleid van de leeuw van Wassenberg. De leeuw verschijnt voor het eerst in 1273 in het wapen van de stad Wassenberg (nu in Duitsland), en is waarschijnlijk afgeleid van de Limburgse leeuw. De stad was namelijk destijds eigendom van Walram IV van Limburg. De leeuw in het wapen is verleend in omgekeerde kleuren.


English

The arms are a combination of the lion of Wassenberg with a canting symbol (hark = rake) voor Herkenbosch. Both villages were part of the Ambt Wassenberg, a larger district around the town Wasserberg (now in Germany). It is unknown when the arms were first used, but the oldest description dates from 1580. The seal of the local council already showed a lion above a rake. Which lion was depicted is not sure, probably the lion of Gulik, which had a double tail. The villages were owned by the lords of Wassenebrg, the counts of Gelre, the dukes of Brabant and the lords of Heinsberg before 1580; all of which had a lion in their arms. When the arms were granted the colours were chosen from the oldest owners, the lords of Wassenberg.


Literatuur : Eversen en Meulleneers, 1900.


Help maintaining Heraldry of the World !

Heraldry of the World is a private site, which is on-line since 1996. It is a hobby, which takes much time and money (books, hosting etc etc). If you would like to support this site, donations are very welcome ! You can support the site by donating items (stickers, papers, books, pdf, images and other items) or financially using the PayPal button below.

All donations send to this specific PayPal address will be used for acquiring books or other items for the site and not for private use.