From Heraldry of the World
|Heraldry of the World|
Civic heraldry of Austria - Österreichische Gemeindewappen
State : Kärnten
District : Klagenfurt-Land
The arms were officially granted on December 14, 1931.
The arms show the Herzogstuhl, or Dukes' Chair. From 1161-1651 the area played a major role in the local history as the Dukes of Carinthia (Kärnten) were inaugurated on the chair. The chair is a large monument, made from sandstone slabs taken from the ruins of the former Roman city of Virunum. The monument also was used for other state issues in Carinthia, such as in important court cases. Also, only from this monument the death penalty could be announced.
The colours are derived from the colours of Carinthia.
Literature : Deuer, 2006