MAIDSTONE BOROUGH COUNCIL
Additions : 1974 Hollingbourne RDC, Maidstone RDC
Arms: Or a Fesse wavy Azure between three Torteaux on a Chief Gules a Lion passant guardant Or.
Crest: Issuant from a Mural Crown Or a Horse's Head Argent gorged with a Chaplet of Hops fructed proper, Mantled Azure doubled Or.
Supporters: On the dexter side an Iguanodon proper collared Gules and on the sinister side a Lion Or collared Gules.
Motto: 'AGRICULTURE AND COMMERCE'.
Arms recorded (without tinctures) at the Visition of 17th August 1619. Arms confirmed and crest and supporters granted on June 30, 1949. Granted again in November 26, 1987.
The wavy fess represents the River Medway and the red roundels are from the arms of Archbishop Courtenay, who built All Saints Church, at the end of the fourteenth century. The lion is that of England.
The mural crown represents municipal government and the horse’s head recalls the arms of the Kent County Council. The hops refer to the produce for which the district is famous.
The Iguanodon refers to the town’s prehistoric background, a complete skeleton of this creature having been found within the Borough. The Lion is derived from that in the arms. The supporters originally had scrolls hanging from the collars about their necks bearing the dates 1549, when Maidstone received its first charter of incorporation and 1949, the 400th anniversary.
The arms as used on a JaJa postcard +/- 1905
The arms as used on a Will's cigarette cards 1906
The arms in the Coffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Heraldry of the World is a private site, which is on-line since 1996. It is a hobby, which takes much time and money (books, hosting etc etc). If you would like to support this site, donations are very welcome ! You can support the site by donating items (stickers, papers, books, pdf, images and other items) or financially using the PayPal button below.
All donations send to this specific PayPal address will be used for acquiring books or other items for the site and not for private use.