Livingstone

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to: navigation, search
Zambia.jpg
Heraldry of the World
Civic heraldry of Zambia
Zambia.jpg

LIVINGSTONE

Province : Southern province

Arms of Livingstone

Official blazon

Arms: Per bend Argent five barrulets wavy Azure and also Argent five pallets wavy Sable in chief a label of three points throughout Gules and issuant in base a cog-wheel Or.
Crest: On a wreath Argent and Sable, upon a mural crown an eagle reguardant wines displayed Or each charged with a cinquefoil Gules.
Supporters: On the dexter side a representation of an explorer habited and supporting in the extertior hand a staff proper and on the sinister side a representation of a Barotse paddler supporting in his exterior hand a paddle also proper

Origin/meaning

The arms were officially granted on July 27, 1950.

Livingstone, founded in 1905 and named after the explorer and missionary, David Livingstone, was declared the capi­tal of Northern Rhodesia in 1914 when the British South Africa Company combined the administration of the north-eastern and the north-western provinces. In 1928 it was granted municipal status. In 1935 the seat of government was removed to Lusaka, which was more centrally situated in the Territory.

The five blue wavy horizontal bars on a silver field represent the Zambesi River and the five black wavy vertical bars represent falling water, i.e. the Victoria Falls. The arms thus allude to Livingstone's situation on the northern bank of the Zambesi.

The diagonal division of the shield and the barrulets give the perspective view of the Zambesi pouring over the Falls as seen from the Livingstone side of the river.

Livingstone was the first town in Northern Rhodesia to be elevated to municipal status and thus stands in the relationship of an eldest son to the Territorial Government. The label is the English method of indicating that a family coat-of-arms is being borne by the eldest son, and its use in the coat-of-arms of Livingstone is an indication of the allegorical relationship between the town and the Territorial Government.

The gold cog-wheel represents the industrial development of Livingstone and the financial benefit which this brings to the town. The position of the cog-wheel in relation to the downward flow of water suggests the association of industrial development with power from the falls.

The eagle in the crest is an allusion to Livingstone's airport. It also serves to indicate that Livingstone is sit­uated in Northern Rhodesia, because the bird is the fish-eagle of the Zambesi, and it appears in the position it assumes in the Territorial coat-of-arms.

The red cinguefoils on the wings are a reference to David Livingstone. The explorer did not have a coat-of-arms so the flowers in the coat-of-arms of the Scottish family of Livingstone of that Ilk were used in the Municipality of Livingstone's arms.

The dexter supporter is an explorer, and although not specifically described as being Dr. David Livingstone, he physically resembles him. The sinister supporter is a Barotso paddler in full ceremonial regalia, the Barotse being a Native tribe living on the upper Zambesi in Northern Rhodesia. In 1850 the Barotse were visited by David Livingstone who was well received by their chief Sebitoane.

The motto is Procedens Floreo and this may be translated as Progress and Prosperity.


Powered by Onecom.jpg

Literature : Image from stamp; Smith, 1985


Help maintaining Heraldry of the World !

Heraldry of the World is a private site, which is on-line since 1996. It is a hobby, which takes much time and money (books, hosting etc etc). If you would like to support this site, donations are very welcome ! You can support the site by donating items (books, pdf, images and other items) or financially using the PayPal button below.
All donations send to this specific PayPal address will be used for acquiring books or other items for the site and not for private use.