From Heraldry of the World
|Heraldry of the World|
Civic heraldry of Germany - Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
The arms were granted on December 21, 1887 by Prince Luitpold of Bayern. The arms show in the upper part the lion of the Pfalz and in the lower part three (canting) lambs.
The combination of the lion and the lambs is known since 1583, when they first appear on a seal of the village. Later seals and pictures all show the same combination, but the composition changes between the different seals and pictures. The village formerly belonged to the Pfalz, but was sold to the university of Heidelberg in 1553. In the 17th century the lion is thus shown holding a book in its front paws. In the last century the rights of the university were disabled and the village became a city in (then) the Kingdom of Bavaria.
The lambs are canting and on the other hand a symbol of the wool industry in the town, founded by Walloon refugees.
The arms in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Angelsachsen Verlag, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.