From Heraldry of the World
|Heraldry of the World|
Civic heraldry of Germany - Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
Lörrach received city rights in 1682 when it became the capital of the Oberamt Rötteln-Sausenberg. At the same time the arms were granted.
The arms show a canting lark (Lerche). In 1756 both the city rights and the arms were re-granted by Count Karl Friedrich of Baden. The colours are also the colours of Baden. Even though the arms have not changed since, the shape and size of the lark have changed considerably.
The present arms are used since the early 1960s and show a very modern variation of the lark. After the municipal reforms the arms were reconfirmed on November 11, 1975.
The arms shown on a local house from 1756 (source)
The arms in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Angelsachsen Verlag, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.