|Heraldry of the World|
Civic heraldry of Germany - Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
The arms were granted on July 31, 1848 by King Max II of Bayern.
The arms are based on elements from the old seals of the city. The wavy bend is the Kuselbach river that runs through the city. The staff is a symbol of St. Remigius. A large part of the area belonged since the 10th to a Benedictine Abbey, founded from Reims in France. Its patron saint was St. Remigius. Around the abbey Kusel the city developed and received city rights around 1286.
The arms in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Angelsachsen Verlag, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.