From Heraldry of the World
|Heraldry of the World|
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
KNUTSFORD (urban district council)
Incorporated into : 1974 Macclesfield
Arms: Azure a Saltire between in chief and base two Garbs and in fesse as many Fleurs de Lys Or on a Chief barry wavy of four of the first and Argent an Antique Crown Gules.
Crest: Out of a Mural Crown Gules charged with four Lozenges conjoined in fesse Or a demi-Lion of the first about the neck a Garland of May flowered and leaved proper and holding in the paws an open Book also proper edged and bound Gold.
Motto: 'RESPICE ASPICE PROSPICE' - Look to the Past, the Present and the Future.
The arms were granted on November 22, 1955.
At the top of the shield is a representation of a crown on water. This recalls the origin of the town's name -(King) Canute's Ford. The gold sheaves on blue are the familiar symbols of Cheshire. The gold saltire on blue is the attributed arms of the Kingdom of Mercia - see also St. Albans.
The crest has a red lion from the arms of the egerton family of Tatton Park. He rise from a mural crown, which is coloured red for the area's local sandstone. The motto is that of the Holland family, Barons and Viscounts of Knutsford.
The arms are continued by the town council
The arms as used on a JaJa postcard +/- 1905
Literature : Image and information provided by Laurence Jones