|Heraldry of the World |
Civic heraldry of South Africa
Province : North West Province
Municipality : Matlosana
- Wapen: In goud, 'n golwende blou dwarsbalk belaai met twee versmalde golwende silwer dwarsbalke, vergesel in die skildhoof van 'n halwe swart tandrat en daarbinne 'n halwe rooi wawiel, en in die skildvoet van 'n rooi afrikanerbulkop en skof, goud gehoring.
- Helmteken: 'n Regopgeplaaste goue mieliekop met vier blare. Wrong: Goud en blou.
- Wapenspreuk: MAJORA PERSEQUENDO PROFICIMUS
- Arms: Or, on a fess wavy Azure two bars wavy Argent, in chief a demi-cogwheel Sable surmounted by a demi-wagon-wheel Gules, and in base an Afrikander bull's head and hump Gules, attired Or.
- Crest: A mealie cob erect with four leaves Or. Wreath: Or and Azure.
- Motto: MAJORA PERSEQUENDO PROFICIMUS
The arms were officially granted on February 20, 1968.
he watery fess represents the Skoonspruit (previously Schoonspruit) which runs through the town. Klerksdorp claims to be the oldest permanent settlement in the region formerly known as the Transvaal.
The bull represents the cattle introduced to the area by the Great Trek. The Africander is the result of cross-breeding between European cattle and those kept by the Khoikhoi people.
Literature : Background by Mike Oettle
Heraldry of the World is a private site, which is on-line since 1996. It is a hobby, which takes much time and money (books, hosting etc etc). If you would like to support this site, donations are very welcome ! You can support the site by donating items (books, pdf, images and other items) or financially using the PayPal button below.
All donations send to this specific PayPal address will be used for acquiring books or other items for the site and not for private use.