From Heraldry of the World
|Heraldry of the World|
Civic heraldry of Belgium - Belgische Overheidswapens / Armorial de Belgique
The arms were granted on October 25, 1954.
The arms of Kerkhove are rather special, in that the arms show two different shields. The left shield, with the three cinquefoils in the chief, shows the arms of the Potter family, the last Lords of the manor of Kerhove (1746-1775).
The right shield shows the arms of the Counts (later Dukes) of Ursel, Lords of the manor of Nieuwgoed in the late 18th century. The estate of Nieuwgoed was combined in the early 19th century with Kerhove to the new municipality of Kerkhove.
Literature : Servais, 1955