Keith

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to: navigation, search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
United Kingdom.jpg
British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Unitedkingdom-flag.gif

Overseas possessions


  • Total pages in the British section : 2,841

KEITH

Burgh

Incorporated into : 1975 Moray District Council (1996 Moray Area Council)

Arms (crest) of Keith

Official blazon

Tierced in pairle reversed: 1st, Azure, semee of fleurs-de-lys Or, an inescutcheon parted per pale, the dexter bendy of six Or and Azure within a bordure Gules, sinister Argent, two open crowns in fess Gules and a martlet in base Azure, on a chief of the Last, a mullet of the field; 2nd, Argent, a lion passant guardant Gules, imperially crowned Or; 3rd, Vert, an escallop Or.

Above the Shield is placed a mural coronet befitting a Burgh and in an Escrol below the Shield is this Motto "Fortiter et Suaviter".

Origin/meaning

The arms were granted on September 10, 1943.

Keith is an amalgamation of two communities, Old and New Keith united and enlarged in 1750 by James Ogilvy, 5th Earl of Findlater and 2nd Earl of Seafield, and Fife. The Burgh stands on land which was once part of the Regality of Keith and Strathisla which was held by the Cistercian Abbey of Kinloss by grant from King William the Lion (1165-1214).

The arms illustrate the three main features in the Burgh's history. In the first part, which recalls the ancient Kirkton of Keith and the tenure of the Lordship of Regality by Kinloss Abbey, are the arms of the Cistercian Order (France differenced Burgundy) but with the sinister half of the inescutcheon showing a star, two crowns, and a martlet from the Abbey seal.

The Ogilvy crowned lion on its silver field in the second part is for Keith Town and its founder, the Earl of Findlater, and in the third part is the golden shell of Duff on its green field for Fife-Keith and Earl Fife.

The Latin motto "Boldly and Gently" is that of George Ogilvy of Milton, who built the Castle of Milton Keith about 1480.

seal of Keith

Seal of the burgh as used in the 1890s
Arms (crest) of Keith

The arms as used on a JaJa postcard +/- 1905

Community Council

Arms (crest) of Keith

Official blazon

Tierced in pairle reversed: 1st, Azure, semee of fleurs­ de-lys Or, an inescutcheon parted per pale, the dexter bendy of six Or and Azure within a bordure Gules, sinister, Argent, two open crowns in fess Gules and a martlet in base Azure, on a chief of the Last a mullet of the Field; 2nd, Argent. a lion passant guardant Gules, imperially crowned Or; 3rd, Vert, an escallop Or.

Above the Shield is placed a Coronet appropriate to a statutory Community Council, videlicet:- a circlet richly chased from which are issuant four thistle leaves (one and two halves visible) and four pine cones (two visible) Or, and in an Escrol below the same this Motto "Fortiter et Suaviter".

Origin/meaning

The arms were granted on July 25, 1999.

The arms are the Burgh arms with a different crown.


Literature : Porteous, 1906; Urquhart, 1974, 1979, 2001; Upper image from Lord Lyon RegisterScotland.jpg


Help maintaining Heraldry of the World !

Heraldry of the World is a private site, which is on-line since 1996. It is a hobby, which takes much time and money (books, hosting etc etc). If you would like to support this site, donations are very welcome ! You can support the site by donating items (stickers, papers, books, pdf, images and other items) or financially using the PayPal button below.

All donations send to this specific PayPal address will be used for acquiring books or other items for the site and not for private use.