|Heraldry of the World
All images > Themes
this section is and will always be under construction as the number of charges is endless !
This page is the starting point to look for a coat of arms with a particular charge or shield division or to identify unknown arms. As not all arms on the site are categorised, I can not guarantee that an image can be found. If you can not find the image, you can also send a mail to see if I can help.
All themes added so far can be found at the Alphabetical list of all themes or see the divisions below !
- 1 Divisions and ordinaries
- 2 Heraldic Charges
- 3 Living nature
- 4 Non-living nature
- 5 Other charges by category
- 5.1 Agriculture and fisheries
- 5.2 Buildings
- 5.3 Clothes
- 5.4 Science, Education and learning
- 5.5 Food and cooking
- 5.6 Industry, mining and tools
- 5.7 Music and Musical instruments
- 5.8 Religious objects
- 5.9 Royalty
- 5.10 Sports
- 5.11 Transport
- 5.12 Archaeology
- 5.13 Weapons and military items
- 5.14 Other objects
Divisions and ordinaries
- Just divided equally (horizontally, vertically, diagonally etc)
More divisions : Category:Division_of_the_shield
- Chiefs and bases
More chiefs and bases: Category:Chiefs and bases
- Bars and pales
More bends and pales: Category:Division lines and pales
More chevrons: Category:Chevrons
More subordinaries: Category:Subordinaries
More crosses : Category:Crosses
A charge is any non geometrical, natural or imaginary figure placed anywhere on the shield.
Heraldic or phantasy creatures
The arms show a heraldic animal or creature (or a part thereof), including Zodiac signs, such as :
The arms show an heraldic lily (Fleur-de-lys), see Category:Fleur-de-lys
The arms shows a natural human, plant or animal, or parts thereof
- For any species of mammals see the category Category:Mammals
- For any species of marsupial see the category Category:Marsupials
- For any species of birds see the category Category:Birds
- For any species of fish see the category Category:Fish
- For any species of shells (scallops), snails or other sea creatures see the category Category:Marine animals
- For any species of reptiles see the category Category:Reptiles
- For any species of amphibians see the category Category:Amphibians
- For any species of insects see the category Category:Insects
- For any other species see the category Category:Other animals
- For any extinct animal species see the category Category:Fossils and extinct animals
The arms shows humans of parts of humans
- For any undefined human or part of a human (hands, feet, heads) see Category:Humans
- For any non-religious named human see Category:Persons
- For any religious saint or figure (monks, bishops, abbotts), see Category:Religious images
Fungi and mushrooms
- For any species of fungi or mushrooms see the category Category:Mushrooms
Some common plants:
Clover (Trifolium sp.)
Cosmological or astrological objects
This category includes all heavenly bodies and other items of astrology or astronomy.
- For any other astrological or astronomical symbol see Astrology
Geology and meteorology
This includes any type of charge showing a mountain, volcano, crystal or other specific geological item, or meteorological items such as rainbows and snowflakes.
For an overview see Category:Geology
Other charges by category
Agriculture and fisheries
This includes any type of charge dealing with agriculture and fisheries, except the plants or animals which are listed separately. Agricultural buildings and parts thereof (such as granaries) are listed under buildings.
For more, see Category:Agriculture
For an overview see Category:Buildings
This category includes any non-military type of clothes, such as shirts, gloves, hats, boots etc. For helmets, chain mail and military gloves, see Military
For an overview see Category:Clothes
Science, Education and learning
This includes any type of charge dealing with teaching and education, including letters, books, pens, scrolls etc.
For more items, see Category:Education
Food and cooking
This includes any type of food not listed under Plants. It includes meats, bread, salt and and similar products. It also includes cooking utensils, such as forks, jugs, jars and kettles. It also includes the Horn of Plenty or Cornucopia
For more items see Category:Food
Industry, mining and tools
This includes any type of charge dealing with small or large industry, ranging from spinning wheels to nuclear power symbols and chemical structures. Industrial buildings and parts thereof (such as wind mill blades) are listed under buildings. For agricultural and fisheries charges, see Agriculture.
For an overview see Category:Industry
Music and Musical instruments
For more items see Category:Music
This includes anything to do with religion, God, Saints and their symbols, monks, churches, angels etc. Some examples:
For more items see Category:Religious images
This includes anything to do with royalty, such as crown, orbs, sceptres etc.
For an overview see Royalty
For an overview see Category:sports
This includes any sport-relates items or persons, such as skiers or golf glubs
For an overview see Category:Transport
This includes any type of boat, car, train etc as well as parts thereof (wheels, oars).
For an overview see Category:Archaeology
This includes any type of human made object found in archaeological excavations, or prehistoric buildings and artefacts.
Weapons and military items
For more items see Category:Military
Any object not classified in any of the categories above (such as candles etc), some examples:
For more items, see Category:Other objects
This category has only the following subcategory.
Heraldry of the World is a private site, which is on-line since 1996. It is a hobby, which takes much time and money (books, hosting etc etc). If you would like to support this site, donations are very welcome ! You can support the site by donating items (books, pdf, images and other items) or financially using the PayPal button below.
All donations send to this specific PayPal address will be used for acquiring books or other items for the site and not for private use.