From Heraldry of the World
|Heraldry of the World|
Civic heraldry of Germany - Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
The old arms (above left) were granted on January 22, 1935, and slightly changed in 1990, but not officially granted (above right).
The golden wall is taken from the historical arms of the Oberlausitz region. The base symbolises the rivers Spree and Schwarze Elster. The oak symbolises the forests in the region. The arms were abolished in 1945, but used again from 1948-1952. From 1952-1990 the district used no arms. The arms were redesigned in 1990 and used until 1996.
Literature : Leisering, 2000.