From Heraldry of the World
|Heraldry of the World|
Civic heraldry of Germany - Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
HOCHSCHWARZWALD (until 1956 named Neustadt im Schwarzwald)
The arms were granted on July 13, 1962.
The arms show the geographical situation in the district; the waves in the base of the shield symbolise the Titisee and Schluchtsee lakes, the three hills the forested mountains of the Black Forest. The deer symbolises the many animals in the mountains. At the same time the deer is taken from the arms of the St. Blasien Abbey, which played a major role in the local history from the 8th until the 18th century.
Literature : Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Angelsachsen Verlag, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.