From Heraldry of the World
|Heraldry of the World|
Civic heraldry of Germany - Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
The arms were granted on April 18, 1966.
The arms are a combination of the lion of the Pfalz and the cross of the diocese of Speyer. The district belonged until 1803 mainly to the Pfalz and partly to the State of Speyer.
Literature : Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Angelsachsen Verlag, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.