From Heraldry of the World
|Heraldry of the World|
Civic heraldry of Germany - Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
The arms were granted on December 15, 1955.
The crown in the upper part symbolises the Royal estate in the 7th-8th century. It was given to the Fulda abbey by Charlemagne in 777. The Bishops of Fulda ruled a large part of the district until the beginning of the 19th century. This is symbolised by the black cross of Fulda. The eastern part of the district belonged to the Prince-Bishops of Würzburg and the arms of the State of Würzburg are seen in the fourth quarter.
Literature : Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Angelsachsen Verlag, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.