From Heraldry of the World
|Heraldry of the World|
Civic heraldry of Germany - Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
The arms were granted on January 30, 1951.
The arms combine the crosses of the diocese and State of Fulda (upper half) and the city of Fulda (lower half). The area was given to the Fulda Abbey in 781 by Charlemagne. Until 1803 both the city and the Bishops ruled the district.
Literature : Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Angelsachsen Verlag, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.