From Heraldry of the World
|Heraldry of the World|
Civic heraldry of Germany - Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
The arms were granted on June 28, 1991.
The upper part shows the Friedenstein castle, the largest baroque castle in Europe. The wavy bar is the Leina canal, dug in the 14th century to supply the city of Gotha with water. The star is derived from the old arms of the Duchy of Sachsen-Gotha-Altenburg.
The previous arms were adopted on December 3, 1948.
The arms show the Inselberg, the highest point in the district with a tower in front of a rising sun. The base shows six wheat-ears symbol for the importance of agriculture.
Literature : Linder and Olzog, 1996.