From Heraldry of the World
|Heraldry of the World|
Civic heraldry of Germany - Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
Gifhorn received town and market rights in 1275 from Johann, Duke of Braunschweig-Lüneburg. Since the late 14th century the city used its own seals.
All lseals show the lion of the Welfen dynasty, to which the Dukes of Braunschweig belonged, as well as a canting horn. The colours are known since the 18th century and have not changed since.
Seal from around 1900
The arms in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Angelsachsen Verlag, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.