From Heraldry of the World
|Heraldry of the World|
Civic heraldry of Germany - Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
The arms were granted on November 8, 1973.
The arms show in the upper part the Welfen lion, as a common symbol for all three former districts. The lower part shows the anchor from the old arms, combined with the small shield derived from the Münden arms, and the wheel from the Duderstatadt arms.
The previous arms were granted on October 25, 1935.
The upper part of the arms shows the lion of the Welfen dynasty, Dukes of Braunschweig. The largest part of the district was part of the main possession of the Welfen dynasty since the 13th century. The lower part shows the arms of the Counts of Plesse, who ruled the northern part of the district until 1571.
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes; Linder and Olzog, 1996