From Heraldry of the World
|Heraldry of the World|
Civic heraldry of Germany - Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
The arms were granted on October 3rd, 1963.
The background of the arms is the arms of Bavaria,a s the main part of the county was part of Bavaria. Until 1268 part of the area was part of a imperial estate in Lechrain. In the estate armies on their way to Italy assembled. The imperial eagle symbolises this imperial estate. The cross is a reminder of the large possessions of the bishops of Augsburg in the area.
Literature : Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Angelsachsen Verlag, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.