|Heraldry of the World|
Civic heraldry of Germany - Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
In Rot übereinander zwei silberne Fische.
Forchheim received city rights before 1250. The oldest seal of the city is known since the late 13th century and already shows a shield with two fish. The fish are likely trout, as the city name was thought to be derived from Forchen (from Forellen or trout).
The second seal of the city, from 1307.
The arms remained unchanged until 1559, when several wavy bars were added. In a 17th century seal the letter V (from Vorchheim) was added between the fish. Otherwise all seals and images show the fish.
The colour of the shield is known as red since 1555, except for the early 19th century when the shield was blue, the colour of Bayern. On some images from the 16th to 18th century the shield is shown divided from red and gold.
The arms in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, 1990.