|Heraldry of the World|
Civic heraldry of Germany - Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
The arms were granted in 1966.
The upper part of the arms are taken from the arms of Bayern. The main part of the district became part of Bayern in 1803. The other two fields indicate former rulers in the area. The mitre symbolises the monastery of St. Mang and the crosier the Prince-Bishops of Augsburg. The latter were most influential in the Western part of the district, the monastery in the Eastern part.
Literature : Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Angelsachsen Verlag, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.