From Heraldry of the World
|Heraldry of the World|
Civic heraldry of Austria - Österreichische Gemeindewappen
State : Oberösterreich
District : Linz-Land
Enns is one of the older cities in the State of Oberösterreich. It received city rights in the early 13th century. The oldest seal is known from 1242, but the oldest seal with the arms is known from 1294. All later seals show the same arms. The arms are a combination of the arms of Austria and Steyr and are derived from the titles of Prince Friedrich II, Duke of Austria and Steyr (1230-1246). The arms probably date from his reign. The arms were officially granted in 1564 when the city was allowed to use red wax for the seal, which was also described.
The only period the arms were changed was in the late 18th century, when the city used the arms as a breastshield on the Imperial Eagle, as all Imperial cities were supposed to do. This was again abolished in the early 20th century.
Seal of Enns from 1294
The arms in the Coffee Hag album +/- 1932
Literature : Baumert, H.E. : Oberösterreichische Gemeindewappen, Linz, 1996.