From Heraldry of the World
|Heraldry of the World|
Civic heraldry of Germany - Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
The arms were granted on December 27, 1950.
The arms show in the upper left part the deer antlers and balls taken from the arms of the Counts of Dassel, who, until 1310 ruled most of the Western part of the district. They sold their properties in 1310 to the Bishops of Hildesheim. The divided arms of the diocese of Hildesheim is shown in the base of the arms. The upper right part shows the lion of the Welfen dynasty, who ruled the Eastern part of the district until 1596.
Literature : Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Angelsachsen Verlag, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.