From Heraldry of the World
|Heraldry of the World|
Civic heraldry of Germany - Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
The arms were granted on July 31, 1957.
The arms are a combination of the arms of the two main territories in the district. The right part shows the three bends of the Counts of Berg and Schelkingen (see also the arms of the city of Ehingen). The left half shows the arms of Austria, as a large part of the district belonged to Austria until 1806.
Literature : Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Angelsachsen Verlag, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.