From Heraldry of the World
|Heraldry of the World|
Civic heraldry of Germany - Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
The arms were granted on January 16, 1957.
The upper part shows the arms of the Wittelsbach family and Bayern and symbolise the fact that the district gradually became a possession of this family between 1228-1251. The divided lower part shows the arms of the Counts of Frontenhausen, who ruled a large part of the district prior to 1226. The single bend is the arms of the State of Regensburg, who also owned a part of the district since 1257.
Literature : Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Angelsachsen Verlag, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.