From Heraldry of the World
|Heraldry of the World|
Civic heraldry of Germany - Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
The arms were granted on December 13, 1951.
The upper part of the arms shows the rose of the Lords of Lippe, known as their symbol since the 12th century. The area of the district was the centre of their properties and power. The lower part is the arms of the county Schwalenberg, to which some areas of the district belonged.
Literature : Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Angelsachsen Verlag, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.