From Heraldry of the World
|Heraldry of the World|
Civic heraldry of Germany - Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
In Blau drei zwei zu eins gestellte Schildchen; 1 in Rot ein silberner Sporn, 2 in Schwarz ein links gewendeter, rot gekrönter und rot bewehrter goldener Löwe, 3 in Silber eine blaue Schlange mit roter Zunge.
The arms were officially granted on December 21, 1962, but have been used on seals and images since 1700.
The upper cartouche shows some spurs, the original symbol of the city. The spur was used on the seals of the city since 1374. The lower two show the lion of the Pfalz and the snake of the Visconti family from Milano. In the 14th century Duke Ernst of Bayern and the Pfalz married with a woman from the Visconti family. The city was given as part of the wedding gifts to the Visconti family and was their possession from 1396-1430.
Hupp showed in the 1920s only the spurs as arms for the city, see below.
The arms in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925