County of Istria
|Heraldry of the World
Civic heraldry of the Austro-Hungarian Empire
COUNTY OF ISTRIA
The County of Istria (now Croatia), was founded in 1062 as an independent state. In 1250 it was acquired by the patriarchs of Aquileja, in the late 13th century it became part of the State of Venice. In 1814 Istria was acquired by Austria-Hunagry.
The arms are identical to the arms used for Istria by the Doges of Venice in the 13th century.
Literature : Ströhl, 1890