Clydebank

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to: navigation, search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
United Kingdom.jpg
British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Unitedkingdom-flag.gif

Overseas possessions


  • Total pages in the British section : 2,841

CLYDEBANK

District council

Additions : 1975 Clydebank Burgh, Old Kilpatrick district
Incorporated into : 1996 West Dunbartonshire

Arms (crest) of Clydebank

Official blazon

  • (1975)

Argent, a saltire Gules, in chief a cog-wheel Sable, in fess dexter a demi-figure of Saint Patrick Proper, in fess sinister a representation of part of the Antonine Wall Proper, and in base, upon the waves of the sea, a lymphad, sails furled, oars in action of the Third, flagged of the Second.

Above the Shield is placed a coronet appropriate to a statutory District, videlicet:- a circlet richly chased, from which are issuant eight thistle-heads (three and two halves visible) Or; and in an Escrol under the Shield this Motto "Labore et Scientia".

  • (1985)

Argent, on a saltire Gules between in chief a cogwheel Sable, in fess dexter a demi-figure of Saint Patrick Proper, in fess sinister a representation of part of the Antonine Wall Proper, and in base upon the waves of the sea a lymphad, sails furled, oars in action of the Third, flagged of the Second, a dove wings expanded of the First.

Above the Shield is placed a Coronet appropriate to a statutory District, videlicet:- a circlet richly chased from which are issuant eight thistle-heads (three and two halves visible) Or, and in an Escrol under the Shield this Motto "Labore et Scientia".

Origin/meaning

The arms were officially granted on September 3, 1975 and again on April 19, 1985.

The arms are similar in design to those of the burgh of Clydebank, but four of the charges have been changed. The red saltire on the silver field is for Lennox, in which province the District lies; as it is also a St Patrick's cross, it is doubly appropriate since parts of the parishes of Old and New Kilpatrick are within the District.

The cog-wheel symbolises all the local industries and the de figure of St Patrick refers to Old Kilpatrick, a burgh of barony from 1672, and where the saint is reputed to have been born. A representation of part of the Roman Antonine's Wall has been included as the Wall and Roman forts at Old Kilpatrick and Greenhill are features common to the burgh and to the villages in the District.
The lymphad is for Clyde shipbuilding.

The motto was the motto of the burgh of Clydebank.

In 1985 a dove of peace was added on the cross.

The 1975 arms:

Arms (crest) of Clydebank

Burgh

Incorporated into : 1975 Clydebank District

Arms (crest) of Clydebank

Official blazon

Argent, a saltire Gules, in chief a sewing machine Sable, in fess dexter a stag's head cabossed of the Second, in fess sinister a lion rampant of the Third guttee d'Or, and in base upon the waves of the sea a representation of H.M.S. Ramillies Proper.

Above the Shield is placed a coronet suitable to a Burgh, thereon a Helmet befitting their degree with a Mantling Gules doubled Argent, and on a Wreath of their Liveries is set for Crest a garb Or, and in an Escrol under the Shield this Motto "Labore et Scientia".

Origin/meaning

The arms were officially granted on February 6, 1930.

The arms were already used on the seal from 1892.

The arms show the red saltire, or Lennox Cross, representative of the ancient Earls of Lennox as the town is in the Lennox region. The four additional elements are; a sewing machine representing the Singer Manufacturing Co, a battleship (probably the HMS Ramillies built at J & G Thomson's Clydebank Shipyard in 1892), sailing on the sea; a stag's head taken from the arms of shipbuilder James Rodger Thomson, the first Chief Magistrate of the Burgh, and a lion taken from the arms of the local landowner, Alexander Dunn Pattison of Dalmuir. The sewing machine and the ship also represent the two main industries in the burgh at the time.

The crest shows a garb for the agricultural interests of the burgh and region.

The motto "Labore et Scientia" (By work and knowledge) symbolises the industrial character of the burgh.

Arms (crest) of Clydebank

The seal from 1892.


Literature : Portuous, 1906; Urquhart, 1974, 1979, 2001Scotland.jpg


Help maintaining Heraldry of the World !

Heraldry of the World is a private site, which is on-line since 1996. It is a hobby, which takes much time and money (books, hosting etc etc). If you would like to support this site, donations are very welcome ! You can support the site by donating items (stickers, papers, books, pdf, images and other items) or financially using the PayPal button below.

All donations send to this specific PayPal address will be used for acquiring books or other items for the site and not for private use.