|Heraldry of the World
Civic heraldry of Germany - Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
State : Nordrhein-Westfalen
District (Kreis) : Borken
Additions : 1969 Amt Gemen-Weseke, Amt Marbeck-Raesfeld (partly), Borkenwirthe, Gemen (city), Gemen (parish), Grütlohn, Hoxfeld, Hovesath, Marbeck, Rhedebrügge, Weseke, Westenborken
The arms of Borken were granted on June 24, 1910 and again on April 22, 1970.
The arms are based on the oldest known seal of Borken, dating from 1250. Later seals show the same compostion, as is seen on the example below. In the 16th century a small letter B is added to the castle, probably to distinguish the seal from similar seals of other cities. The city wall was added in the 17th century.The castle is a common symbol used in the Middle Ages by cities on their seals, but for Borken it is also a canting symbol; the name is derived from Burke, or castle. The colours are historical and have been used for centuries, their original meaning is no longer known.
Seal of Borken from 1372
Seal from around 1900
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes; Hupp, O: Kaffee Hag albums, 1920s; Meijer, 1940