|Heraldry of the World|
|South Africa heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of South Africa
Province : Free State
Incorporated into : 2000 Mangaung
- Wapen: In blou, twee toegewende goue horings van oorvloed, die regterkantste gevul met blomme en die linkerkantste met water.
- Helmteken: 'n Vuurherd met vlamme van natuurlike kleur.
- Wrong en Dekklede: Goud en blou.
- Skildhouers: Regs 'n blesbok en links 'n swartwildebees, albei van natuurlike kleur.
- Wapenspreuk: FLOREAT
- Arms: Azure, two cornucopias respectant, the dexter one issuing flowers and the sinister one issuing water.
- Crest: A grate inflamed proper.
- Wreath and Mantling: Or and Azure.
- Supporters: Dexter a blesbok and sinister a white-tailed gnu, both proper.
- Motto: FLOREAT
The arms were officially granted on November 25, 1966, but were previously granted in the UK.
The arms are canting: Bloemfontein means "flower fountain". The cornucopias also refer to the prosperity of the town and region.
The crest is taken from the arms of 19th-century president Jan Brand (meaning 'fire'). Until the 1950s, the name "Bloemfontein" was inscribed on the shield, above the cornucopias.
The arms on a tobacco card (1931)
The arms on a first day cover
Heraldry of the World is a private site, which is on-line since 1996. It is a hobby, which takes much time and money (books, hosting etc etc). If you would like to support this site, donations are very welcome ! You can support the site by donating items (stickers, papers, books, pdf, images and other items) or financially using the PayPal button below.
All donations send to this specific PayPal address will be used for acquiring books or other items for the site and not for private use.