From Heraldry of the World
|Heraldry of the World|
Civic heraldry of Germany - Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
Bensheim was first mentioned as a city in 1318 and belonged to the State of Mainz until 1802. The oldest seal dates from the late 14th century and, like all other seals, it showed the Archbishop of Mainz on a throne, often with a small shield with the wheel of Mainz, or with parts of the wheel without a shield. In the early 19th century when the city became part of Mainz, the new seal showed the striped lion of Hessen, holding a small shield with the Archbishop.
In the meantime the city used since the early 17th century separate arms. The arms were used on documents and decorations in the city, and showed the local patron saint, St. George killing the dragon. This composition was officially granted as the city's coat of arms in 1929.
The arms in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Angelsachsen Verlag, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.