From Heraldry of the World
|Heraldry of the World|
Civic heraldry of Germany - Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
The city of Kreuznach was founded in the 13th century, and the oldest known seal also dates from the late 13th century. It showed a view of a city with a church. A later 14th century seal showed a chequered cross, as did several later seals. In the late 15th century the present composition of crosses and a chequered bar appear. The crosses area canting element (Kreuz=cross), the bar is derived from the oldest arms of the Counts of Sponheim, who ruled the city until 1437. The above arms were officially granted in 1817 by the Prussian King.
Seal from around 1900
The arms in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Angelsachsen Verlag, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.